dinsdag 8 maart 2011

Window screen tutorial

In July 2010 I showed you the windowscreen I made for my Thirties House. Catherine asked me if I could write a tutorial about how it is made. It has taken a (long) while, but here it is :-)

You need:
* scoubidou string
* iron wire (about 0,4 mm)
* superglue
* fabric (net)
* woodstain or paint in any colour you like
* gesso
* pattern for making the shape of your windowscreen

First you make a pattern of the shape you like.
I searched the internet for a photo of a windowscreen I liked and made it 1:12th scale.
Like this one:


I made a drawing of the shape on the paper:



Put the iron wire in the scoubidou string:



and start making the shape:



When you are satisfied glue the ends together. Then make some short pieces for the ´legs´ of the screen:



After it has dried you can paint it with gesso (I use 2 layers to cover the string):



When the gesso is dry you can give your screen a coat of woodstain (that´s what I did), but you can also use any colour of paint you wish:



Cut some (net) fabric and glue onto the screen:



When the glue has dried cut along the lines of the screen:



and stain or paint the ends (of the fabric) again:



And you will have a windowscreen ;-)



What is scoubidou?

I quote from wikipedia: scoubidou threads are supple, round and hollow plasticized PVC tubes usually about 80 centimetres in length. They are sold in various colours, sizes and types, and are used to make various items by binding them together with special knots. On account of their elasticity and hollow cross-section — which allow them to collapse and deform when pulled — they can easily form extremely tight and stable knots. Key chains, friendship bands and other trinkets are most commonly woven, although more complicated shapes and figures can also be created.

Other names are (again according to wiki):
Gimp, Scoubi, Scoobie, Boondoggle, or Lanyard

I hope the tutorial was clear enough. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
And once you have tried scoubidou I think you will see more possibilities to use them.

19 opmerkingen:

  1. A great tutorial and very clear, even to people, like me, whose English is a foreign language.
    Thank you!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. wow! great tutorial! maybe i can use this sometime. thanks so much for sharing. best wishes! di
    ;0)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. gracias por el tutuorial, es fantástico, besotes

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Mooie tutorial Lara. Heel duidelijk verteld en goede foto's erbij.
    Best eenvoudig met een prima resultaat.
    Heel erg leuk, bedankt.

    groet Heleni

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Amazing tutorial I love the work!!! Mini regards.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Thanks for the tutorial: the things done to you all look easy ...
    But why, then, to me they are all crap?!
    Fortunately, you make me optimistic :-)
    Mini hugs, Flora

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Thank you so much, Lara for this very instructive tutorial. I had never heard about the scoubidous before, and I have to find a place where they sell it, it sounds like a material with lots of possibilities..I will look forward to have the time to investigate that!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. Hola Lara:
    es un tutorial muy bien detallado, eres muy generosa por enseñarnos a toda y es de agradecer el trabajo que te has dado en fotografiarlo etc...
    Muchisimas gracias.
    Un besito guapa,y feliz dia de la mujer trabajadora.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. Un tutorial muy bueno. Gracias por compartirlo.
    Me lo guardo. Saludos. Teresa

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. Wonderful tutorial. I must get some Scoubidou!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. Wat gaaf!! Dank je wel Lara voor je duidelijke uitleg :)

    Liefs, Jollie

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  12. Hi Lara, thanks so much for signing up to follow my new minis blog:) Please tell your friends in mini world to check it out

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  13. Gracias por el tutorial. Esta muy bien explicado. Besos

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  14. Thanks for this tutorial, i love it!
    I am having a give-away soon.
    Hugs
    Maria

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  15. hahaha o ja je was Nederlands.
    Groetjes
    Maria

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  16. Thank you for this project. It's very interesting :o)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  17. Ik ga je volgen hoor!!
    Ik zou het ook erg leuk vinden als je een keer bij mijn komen rond neuzen.
    Dat lijkt me hel gezellig!

    Fijne week,
    Miranda

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen